Misplaced Modifiers

Misplaced Modifiers

A misplaced modifier is a word, phrase, or clause that is improperly separated from the word it modifies / describes.

Because of the separation, sentences with this error often sound awkward, ridiculous, or confusing.  Furthermore, they can be downright illogical.

Misplaced modifiers can usually be corrected by moving the modifier to a more sensible place in the sentence, generally next to the word it modifies.

 Wrong: On the way home, Jane found a gold man’s watch. Misplaced modifier, “gold man’s,” says the man is gold.

Correct: On the way home, Jame found a man’s gold watch. Now it is the watch that is gold.

See More . . . 



Scroll to Top